A plasterer uses both undercoat and finish plaster to the inside of properties they can also run up moulds for decorative areas such as ceiling and walls.
The plasterer is indispensable to most domestic and commercial worksites – making walls and ceilings smooth and ready for decorating, plus many other requirements such as soundproofing and weatherproofing. They mix and apply different kinds of plaster to inside walls and ceilings and cover outside walls with coatings such as sand and cement render, pebble-dash, stone-effect materials and even machine-applied finishings.
There are two types of plasterer - Solid Plasterer & Fibrous Plasterer, but many do both. Solid Plastering is the application of wet finishes to surfaces and putting protective coverings such as pebble-dashing on external walls. Fibrous plastering involves creating ornamental plasterwork (such as ceiling roses and cornices) using a mixture of plaster and short fibres shaped with moulds and casts.
This competition has been designed reflect the role of a plasterer and the standards that are expected within the construction industry.
- This is an individual competition
- A maximum of 3 entries per organisation
- Competitors must be familiar with the core competencies (these can be found in the Tools section below)
Steps to taking part in this skills competition
- Register to enter this competition by 5 April 2019.
- Competitors will be invited to a National Qualifier during Spring/Summer 2019, further details will be released in the New Year.
- WorldSkills UK quality assure the results and finalists will be notified by September 2019.
- Finalists will participate in the UK National Final at the NEC in November 2019 as part of WorldSkills UK LIVE.
- Download the competition overview from the Tools section to find out more about this skills competition and help with your preparation.
- Pre-competition activity pack will be available soon
Heats, dates and venues
|22/03/2019||Belfast Metropolitan College,|
|30/04/2019||City Of Glasgow College|
|23/05/2019||Easton & Otley|
|13/06/2019||South Devon College|
Competition organising partner
CITB is the competition organising partner for the Plastering competition.