Competitors will be expected to undertake a specific project that will require them to demonstrate the skills that are essential requirements for today’s construction industry.
Roofing operatives work on the protective layers of a building which separate the inside from the elements using a range of materials, methods and structures. Roof slaters and tilers install and repair all the waterproof coverings for buildings by applying slates or tiles to a designed framework, such as the roof of a house. Skills for this role include; understanding drawings and specifications to know what materials to use; fixing underlay, insulation and roof coverings in place; repairing old or faulty roofing; ensuring any new covering is weatherproof.
Heritage specialists can work on roofs ranging from Victorian terraced houses to ancient churches. Modern slaters and tilers are trained in using the handmade materials of earlier eras, including clay tiles and different types of natural stone or slate.
This competition has been designed to reflect the role of a roof slater and tiler and the standards that are expected within the construction industry.
- This is an individual competition
- A maximum of 3 entries per organisation
- Competitors must be familiar with the core competencies (these can be found in the Tools section below)
Steps to taking part in this skills competition
- Register to enter this competition by 5 April 2019.
- Competitors will be invited to a National Qualifier during Spring/Summer 2019, further details will be released in the New Year.
- WorldSkills UK quality assure the results and finalists will be notified by September 2019.
- Finalists will participate in the UK National Final at the NEC in November 2019 as part of WorldSkills UK LIVE.
- Download the competition overview from the Tools section to find out more about this skills competition and help with your preparation.
- Pre-competition activity pack will be available soon
Heats, dates and venues
|05/06/2019||Eastern Region Training Grp, Unit 6, Lower Street, Baylham, Ipswich, IP6 8JP|
|13/06/2019||South Devon College|
Competition organising partner
The Construction Industry Training Board (CITB) is the competition organising partner for the Roofing (Bituminous Felting & Slating and Tiling) competition.