Masonry is the craft of shaping rough pieces of rock into accurate geometrical shapes, at times simple, but some of considerable complexity and then arranging the resulting stones, often together with mortar to form structures.
Stonemasons create practical stone items that can last for centuries, they need to be skilled in creating stone items using traditional tools. Stonemasons work from sawn blocks of stone to shape everything from cladding for a new office block to intricate and important carvings for famous historic buildings, working with materials such as slate, sandstone and limestone. They use templates and drawings as a guide and often copy decayed or broken stones to create identical replacements. Stonemasonry is one of the oldest professions within the construction industry.
This competition has been designed to reflect the role of a stonemason and the standards that are expected within the construction industry.
- This is an individual competition
- A maximum of 3 entries per organisation
- Competitors must be familiar with the core competencies (these can be found in the Tools section below)
Steps to taking part in this skills competition
- Register to enter this competition by 5 April 2019.
- Competitors will be invited to a National Qualifier during Spring/Summer 2019, further details will be released in the New Year.
- WorldSkills UK quality assure the results and finalists will be notified by September 2019.
- Finalists will participate in the UK National Final at the NEC in November 2019 as part of WorldSkills UK Live.
- Download the competition overview from the Tools section to find out more about this skills competition and help with your preparation.
- Pre-competition activity pack will be available soon
Competition organising partner
CITB is the competition organising partner for the Stonemasonry competition.