Forensic scientists provide impartial scientific evidence for use in courts of law to support the prosecution or defence in criminal and civil investigations. They are primarily concerned with examining contact trace material associated with crimes.
This follows the principle that ‘every contact leaves a trace’ that will offer potential evidence to link a suspect with the scene of the crime, the victim or the weapon.
The competition has been designed to reflect the work role of a forensic scientist, including skills such as time management, planning and problem solving.
- This is an individual competition
- A maximum of 10 entries per location (campus), 15 per organisation
- Competitors must be familiar with the core competences (these can be found in the Tools section below) and can be working towards a Level 3 qualification or qualified in the last 12 months
Steps to taking part in this skills competition
- Register to enter this competition by 12 April 2019
- Competitors will be invited to a National Qualifier during Spring/Summer 2019, further details will be released in the New Year.
- WorldSkills UK quality assure the results between July and August and finalists will be notified by September 2019.
- Finalists will participate in the UK National Final at the NEC in November 2019 as part of WorldSkills UK LIVE
- Download the competition overview from the Tools section to find out more about this skills competition and help with your preparation.
- Download the competition overview and pre-competition activity pack from the Tools section to find out more about this skills competition and help with your preparation.
Heats, dates and venues
|31/05/2019||Suffolk New College, Rope Walk, Ipswich, Suffolk. IP4 1LT|
|26/04/2019||Brooklands College, Heath Road, Weybridge, KT13 8TT|
|24/05/2019||Southern Regional College Banbridge Campus Castlewellan Road Banbridge Co Down BT32 4NU|
|29/05/2019||Regional Scientific Support Services Yorkshire and the Humber, Sir Alec Jeffrey’s Building, Peel Avenue, Calder Park, Wakefield WF2 7UA|
|04/06/2019||Coleg Gwent, Pontypool Campus, Blaendare Road, Pontypool, NP4 5YE|
|12/06/2019||UCLAN Fyle Road Preston PR1 2HE|
|19/06/2019||NPTC Group Neath Dwr-Y-Felin Road, SA10 7RF|
Competition organising partner
Complete Forensics is the competition organising partner for the Forensic Science competition.