Welders join metals to make high strength joints. Welding is essential for manufacturing the things we use, including buildings, bridges, cars, aeroplanes, pipelines and power stations.
The WorldSkills UK SkillWeld competition is designed to test your skills in the three main, manual fusion welding processes. During the competition you will be asked to complete four weld tests. All four of the test pieces are mandatory.
- This is an individual competition
- There is no limit to the number of entries per organisation
- Competitors must be familiar with the core competencies (these can be found in the Tools section below) and must not have more than 3 years’ industry experience
Steps to taking part in this skills competition
- Register to enter this competition by 12 April 2019.
- Competitors are requested to submit an entry for initial assessment, details will be sent to you after registration.
- Competitors will be invited to a National Qualifier during Spring/Summer 2019.
- WorldSkills UK quality assure the results and finalists will be notified by September 2019.
- Finalists will participate in the UK National Final at the NEC in November 2019 as part of WorldSkills UK LIVE.
- Download the competition overview and pre-competition activity pack from the Tools section to find out more about this skills competition and help with your preparation.
Heats, dates and venues
|22/05/2019||Northern Regional College, Newtownabbey Campus, 400 Shore Road, Newtownabbey, BT37 9RS|
|05/06/2019||Brompton Barracks Chatham|
|05/06/2019||New College Lanarkshire Cumbernauld, Tryst Road, Town Centre, Cumbernauld, Glasgow, G67 1HU|
|12/06/2019||Coleg Cambria –Bersham Road, Wrexham, LL13 7UH|
|19/06/2019||NPTC Group of Colleges, Dwr-y-Felin Road, Neath, Neath Port Talbot, SA10 7RF|
|19/06/2019||Canterbury College, New Dover Road, Canterbury, Kent, CT1 3AJ|
|03/07/2019||Grimsby Institute of Further & Higher Education, Nuns Corner, Grimsby, DN34 5BQ|
|10/07/2019||Lakes College, Hallwood Road, Lillyhall Business Park, Workington, Cumbria, CA14 4JN|
Competition organising partner
Semta is the competition organising partner for the Welding competition.Find out more