A Beauty Therapist is a specialist in facial treatments, make up and skincare advice.
The competition focuses on the role and tasks of a beauty therapist. This includes carrying out a range of therapy services which reflect both current and traditional beauty therapy treatments including facial treatments, make-up, manicure, pedicure, lash and brow treatments, health and safety and customer service. Ideally you are looking to demonstrate your skills to the highest level with a view to advance your skills and progress your career further as a Beauty Therapist Practitioner.
- This is an individual competition
- There is no limit to the number of entries per organisation
- Competitors must be familiar with the core competencies below and/or are enrolled in a programme of study working towards Beauty Therapy Level 2 or Level 3
Steps to taking part in this skills competition
- Register to enter this competition by 5 April 2019
- Competitors will be invited to submit a photographic entry for initial assessment by 12 April 2019
- Shortlisted competitors will be invited to a National Qualifier during Spring/Summer 2019
- WorldSkills UK quality assure the results and finalists will be notified by September 2019
- Finalists will participate in the UK National Final at the NEC in November 2019 as part of WorldSkills UK LIVE
Please note: this Competition has a preliminary phase, which involves submitting a photographic entry for initial assessment.
Competitors taking part in this competition should be able to demonstrate:
- Presentation skills - the ability to create a professional, positive, safe and effective environment
- Consideration for client care
- Organisation of working area
- Preparation for treatment
Safe working practices:
- Recognise contra-indications and demonstrate the ability to problem solve and take appropriate action if needed.
- Carry out appropriate hygiene procedures
- Checks of electrical / mechanical equipment safety
- Maintain professional standards of hygiene and safety
- Response to client needs – use of verbal and non verbal techniques to ensure client comfort.
- Explanation of each treatment to be carried out
- Maintain client’s modesty throughout
- Identify potential areas of concern for the client
High level of skill and dexterity:
- Application of knowledge
- Use workspace effectively
- Apply techniques with confidence and dexterity
- Demonstrate focus
- Use posture effectively
Management of time allocation:
- Allocate time effectively
- Manage time
- Demonstrate the ability to begin and end the competition appropriately – the therapist will allocate time for clearing down neatly and hygienically at the end of the competition
Ergonomic working methods:
- Demonstrate effective trolley and couch positioning
- Test equipment and products
- Organise trips to the sink area
- Demonstrate effective trolley set up
- Download the competition overview, pre-competition activity pack and top tips from the Tools section to find out more about this skills competition and help with your preparation.
Coleg Cambria is the competition organising partner for the Beauty Therapist competition.