Become a Skills Champion
Skills Champions are individuals who have all competed as part of Team UK, Squad UK or at the National Finals of the WorldSkills UK Competitions held at WorldSkills UK LIVE. They are inspiring young professionals who are committed to showcasing skills excellence and championing professional and technical training and come together to form our Skills Champions Community.
Being part of the Skills Champion programme can further increase your personal and professional development. You will also continue to be a vital part of WorldSkills UK and help spread the message and power of WorldSkills UK to young people! Through the programme you will get to:
- Network with industry professionals from around the country and influence policy makers
- Inspire young people to get involved with learning a skill and/or enter skills competitions
- Improve your personal skills such confidence, group delivery, presentation skills, etc.
- Be part of a like-minded community of young professionals from across the nation
As a Skills Champion, what can I get involved in?
There are lots of opportunities for you to get involved and continue your journey with WorldSkills UK after you compete, including:
- Inspire the next generation by delivering interactive workshops in secondary schools and colleges.
- Influence sector leaders and policy makers by sharing your journey through skills competitions and into employment.
- Support competitions activities nationally and internationally.
- Shape the future of the Skills Champions Community through the youth advisory panel meetings.
- Develop your employability skills through professional networking events and training workshops.
- Volunteer at WorldSkills UK LIVE and our regional events.
How will WorldSkills UK support Skills Champions to do this?
We can help fund your travel expenses to travel to different events around the country to act as an ambassador for WorldSkills UK.
We have templates of presentation slides you can use to share your story with others.
We can develop your confidence in delivering talks, workshops and presentations by offering you access to professional development materials and courses.
There is also a financial grant available for Champions on the Championing the Way for Skills project where they are not being supported by their employer to take part. If eligible, you can receive up to £75 per day for delivering sessions in schools.
How much time will I need to commit to being a Skills Champion?
It’s up to you! There is no minimum commitment to being a Skills Champion, you can fit your activity alongside your work and lifestyle.
How do I get involved?